About BCP Charter
Knowledge Lessons Newsletter
- Md. test standards called among lowest in U.S.
(Baltimore Sun - 10/30/09)
- No. 1 by what
standard? (Baltimore Sun - 2/2/09)
- Victory for charter
schools? (Baltimore Sun - 9/11/06)
Instruction & Open Court Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Direct Instruction Fact
- Direct Instruction &
ESL Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Direct Instruction
& Special Education Fact Sheet (PDF)
- The Bottom Line
From the Baltimore Sun, 9/28/2005
Charter School OP/ED
By James W. Campbell
- Farbman, D. & Kaplan, C. (2005). Time
for a Change: The Promise of Extended-Time Schools for Promoting
Student Achievement. Boston, MA: Massachusetts 2020.
- Rosenshine, B. (1996). Advances
in Research on Instruction. In J.W. Lloyd, E.J. Kameanui,
and D. Chard (Eds.) (1997) Issues in educating students
with disabilities. Mahwah, N.J.: Lawrence Erlbaum: Pp. 197-221.
- Rosenshine, B. (2002). Converging
Findings on Classroom Instruction. In A. Molnar (Ed.)
School Reform Proposals: The Research Evidence. Greenwich,
CT: Information Age Publishing: Pp. 9-9.30.
- Rosenshine, B. (2005). Helping
Students from Low-Income Families. OQE Forum,
- Association for Direct Instruction
Explains Direct Instruction and provides links
and other interesting information.
- The Battle of City Springs (video)
"The Battle of City Springs" is a video that documents
a one-year period during which the school struggled to implement
the research-based Direct Instruction curriculum in an effort
to improve students' academic performance and behavior.
To order the video, contact BCP.
The cost is $15.00 and includes an Epilogue, as well as
shipping and handling.
- Core Knowledge Foundation
Provides overview of Core Knowledge, resources, etc.
- Effective School Practices Journal (Winter 1995-96)
Describes Project Follow Through and the success of Direct
- Maryland General Assembly
- Maryland Public Charter School Act of 2003
- National Center to Improve the Tools of Educators
P rovides teachers with information about research-based
practices and strategies for the classroom.
- National Institute for Direct Instruction
The National Institute for Direct Instruction (NIFDI) is
a not-for-profit corporation dedicated to providing school
districts with a solid training program and approach for
the implementation of DI in districts, schools and classrooms.
- Preventing Reading Difficulties Web Site
This is an interesting web site with information about preventing
reading difficulties in young children, on-line resources,
research citations, and a lot of other information helpful
to teachers and parents alike.